Whilst tacos may have their roots in much hotter climates, they’re also a great winter warmer. Try my cauliflower, olive, pepper and tomato filling for a Mediterranean twist, or keep it traditional and refreshing with chicken, avocado and salsa. They’re always a hit in my house because I enjoy making them with my kids, and they enjoy eating them! Feel free to use hard taco shells or soft tortillas.
Roasted cauliflower, olives, pepper with a tomato & pepper salsa
- ¼ head cauliflower
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut ¼ head cauliflower into florets and place on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Sprinkle over the 2 crushed garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons of sumac, paprika and 1 tablespoons olive oil. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Then roast, tossing occasionally, until almost tender (35-40 minutes).
Whilst this is cooking make the salsa:
Red pepper salsa
- 100g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 fat green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 200g roasted red peppers from a jar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Put the tomatoes, garlic and chilli into a food processor with the peppers, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Pulse to make a rough purée.
- Pour into a bowl and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
To complete the dish, once the cauliflower is done, put it into your tacos/tortillas with a couple of slices of pepper, olives, parsley and some sliced red onion. Dollop on the salsa on top. Enjoy!
Healthy corn tortillas with grilled chicken fillet, avocado, fresh salsa
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- ⅓ medium red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ chopped red onion
- 2 tbps chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ red chilli, de-seeded and chopped finely
- ½ large lime, juiced
- Pinch salt
- In a serving bowl, combine the prepared mango, pepper, onion, coriander and chilli.
- Drizzle with the lime juice and mix well. Season to taste with salt.
- For best flavor, let the salsa rest for 10 minutes or longer.
For the rest of the filling
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 inches of cucumber chopped into small chunks
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- A few coriander leaves.
- First, using a griddle pan, cook the chicken in small strips.
- Slice up ½ avocado and some cucumber.
- If you are using tortillas, when the chicken is done remove from the pan and keep warm by covering with tin foil on a warm plate.
- Place the tortillas down on the griddle pan so they warm up and get the griddle pan marks. Then you are ready to add all the filling, into your taco/tortilla: the cucumber, chicken, salsa, some more coriander leaves and the avocado. Yum!
Now you are ready to add all the filling. Into your taco or tortilla add the cucumber, chicken, salsa, some more coriander leaves and the avocado. Yum!
For another great filling, take a look at my bean chilli recipe.