Pregnancy mocktails for the festive season
December is here and ‘tis the season to be jolly, but pregnancy sometimes has a way of sapping the fun from festive celebrations and Christmas drinks. However, just because your baby’s on the way does not mean that you cannot indulge in that glass mulled wine or bubbles you love. We have cherry picked three delicious mocktails to spice up your holiday festivities, so you can still enjoy your favourite Christmas drinks and not miss out on the merriments.
Non-Alcoholic Mulled Wine
- 300ml orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 175ml pure cranberry juice
- ½ lemon
- 1 small orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- ½ tsp chopped or grated fresh ginger
- 1 lt water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- Halve the lemon and slice into quarters.
- Cut the orange into slices.
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan; add the water and heat gently, allow to infuse simmering for approximately 15 minutes. More coconut palm sugar or honey can be added at this point if needed.
- Strain the mulled wine and ladle into glasses.
- Grab yourself a mince pie and enjoy by the fire.
- 300ml unsweetened white grape juice
- 300ml pure pineapple juice
- 1lt sparkling water
- 120ml ginger wine
- 10 strawberries
- Place all the ingredients, apart from strawberries, in a large jug and stir.
- Pop a strawberry in the bottom of each champagne glass or on a cocktail stick, and pour the bubbles over.
- Toast to the holidays!
- 20-30 fresh mint leaves
- 2 limes
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 400ml soda water
- Chop the fresh mint leaves.
- Slice the limes into thin wedges, removing all the seeds.
- Divide the mint leaves and lime wedges between both glasses.
- Add in the coconut sugar.
- Using a spoon/muddler, mash up the ingredients, ensuring everything is combined.
- Top with soda water.
However, what if you do not have time to whip up these recipes, or you are in the first stages of pregnancy and you would rather keep quiet about it? Fear not! We have invented a list of excuses to help you keep your cool over festive period.
Nominate yourself to be the designated driver. This is a perfect excuse that your friends and family will be eternally grateful for.
Fake it! Order something at the bar that could pass as alcoholic, perhaps a soda and fresh lime, or fruit juice in a short glass.
Have a posse of people who know. Besides buying you virgin cocktails and gulping your Pinot Grigio, your partner or a friend who knows your pregnancy secret can help you maintain the illusion and pretend to order you alcoholic drinks.
Order yourself a mocktail! With some many delicious varieties nowadays, you will definitely find something colourful and fruity to get you in the party spirit.