Healthy Nutella? We love the smooth, creamy texture and sweet nutty flavour of nutella, but the ingredient list leaves a lot to be desired. It’s full of white sugar, refined oil, additives and preservatives, so it’s not an ideal snack for mums to be. That’s why we created the delicious nourishing healthy nutella recipe which is oil-free and made with maple syrup, roasted hazelnuts and raw cacao. It’s the best nutella we have ever tried! Go on…treat yourself.
- 150g hazelnuts
- 2 Tbs Cacao powder
- 50g almonds
- 3 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 3 drops of pure vanilla extract
1. In a dry pan, over a low heat, toast your hazel nuts and almonds for about 4 – 5 minutes stirring now and then to avoid burning.
2. Remove the pan from the heat, pick out the hazelnuts one by one and pinch the skins off. Some hazelnuts will slide out of their skins easily and some won’t. If you can’t get some of the skins off don’t worry, add them to the mix anyway.
3. Put the nuts in your food processor or high speed blender and begin processing, stopping every few minutes to scrape down the sides. You need to process the mix for 5-10 minutes and might have to pause every so often if the mix starts to get hot.
4. You will think you have reached its limit of smoothness, but just keep going! Eventually it will become oily and more liquid.
5. Add the syrup, cacao, vanilla and salt and blend again to combine fully.
6. Store the nut butter in glass jars in the fridge. This Nourishing Nutella will keep in the fridge for at least 4-5 weeks but in my experience it never lasts that long!