Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns
Good Friday is the traditional day to serve hot cross buns and it’s a fun activity for the whole family to make a batch to enjoy together. This recipe will make 12 hot cross buns which are best served toasted or fresh straight out of the oven. Other dried fruit could be added instead of mixed peel or currants if preferred. Inspired by the Doves Farm recipe, but with our my tweaks (I opted for gluten free flour and coconut sugar and coconut milk). I wanted to experiment with a healthy hot cross bun recipe and share it with you all. Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 12 buns):
- 250g White Bread Flour (we used gluten free)
- 1 tsp Quick Yeast
- 50g coconut sugar (caster sugar is fine if you prefer)
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 200ml milk (I used coconut milk)
- 1 egg
- 85g currants
- 25g mixed peel, chopped
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 25g Plain White Flour (I used gluten free)
- 15g butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 tbsp oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- tepid water
- Mix the the bread flour, quick yeast, coconut sugar and mixed spice into a large bowl.
- Measure the milk into a jug, add the egg and stir until thickened.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl and stir well.
- Add the mixed peel, currants, and juice and stir.
- Cover and leave in a warm place to double in size (about 2 hours).
- In another bowl, mix together the plain flour and butter to form breadcrumbs then add drops of water to make a pastry dough. Roll the pastry between two pieces of greaseproof until very thin and cut into 3mm strips. Set these to one side.
- Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Drizzle the oil over the dough, gently turn it once or twice in the oil then spoon out 12 piles of dough onto the prepared oven tray.
- Moisten the pastry strips with the tepid water, lay them across each pile of dough to form a cross and leave in a warm place to rise for approx. 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Bake the buns in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Warm the apricot jam, remove any lumps, and brush it over the buns once they have come out of the oven.
Large baking tray, greaseproof paper, saucepan
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6