Much like my lentil and crispy kale soup, my Beef Barley Soup could easily be turned into a stew – just throw in a few sweet potatoes and onions! An incredibly easy, sweat-free alternative to the classic Sunday roast (especially in the slow cooker!).
Whatever you’d like to make it, this beef barley bowl is hearty, filling and simply one of my all-time favourites! For gluten free alternative of this dish, try using quinoa or buckwheat in place of the barley. There’s truly no taste difference and equal amounts of nutrients.
- 1 brown onion
- 2 sticks of celery – cut in half lengthways and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots – peeled, cut in quarters lengthways and cut into large chunks
- 80g pearl barley
- 400g tinned of chopped tomatoes
- 700ml beef stock or bone broth
- 1 tbsp flour (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g stewing steak – diced
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and place the 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the diced beef and the flour
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook the beef until browned and then remove form the pan with a slotted spoon
- Add in 2tbsp olive oil
- Add the onions and celery and sweat for 10 minutes
- Add the carrots and sweat for a further 5 minutes
- Add the pearl barley and stir for 1 minute
- Add the tinned tomatoes, bay leaf & stock and return the beef to the pan.
- Stir the ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer for 25 minutes or until pearl barley is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately!