Chocolate, chickpea, fig and almond energy balls
These chocolate, chickpea, fig and almond energy balls are a great source of energy for snacking on. A nice seasonal variation on my classic energy balls, they containing raw cacao (a great source of antioxidants and magnesium) and chickpeas, which are incredibly high in protein. In addition, they’ve got a great sweetness to them which makes them perfect for fixing a post-lunch sugar craving, without making your blood sugar spike.
Ingredients (makes about 16)
- 400g tin of cooked chickpeas, drained
- 50g dried figs, chopped
- 100g of cashews
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- A pinch of sea salt
- Unsweetened desiccated coconut to decorate. Alternatively you could use sesame seeds or cacao powder.
- Firstly, begin by draining the chickpeas and rinsing under cold water. Then pat dry to remove any excess water and transfer to a food processor.
- Add in the cashews, figs, almonds, cacao, maple syrup and salt to the cashews, and blitz until the mixture is completely mixed and has become a sticky, doughy form.
- Next, take out spoonfuls of the mix and shape into balls with your hands.
- Then pop them into the fridge and wait for them to firm up (1-2 hrs).
- Finally, when this is done roll in your preferred outer coating of coconut, sesame or cacao. They can be stored in the fridge or freezer.