Classic energy balls
Energy balls are pretty much the perfect snack as they offer a satiating combination of protein, carbs, and fats. Plus, they’re totally customisable and portable. There are many, many different combinations of energy balls out there so it’s really a question of finding one that’s right for you! For example, if you’re after a more seasonal snack, why not try my chocolatey energy balls, with chickpeas, figs and almonds? Alternatively, a particularly breakfast-suited recipe could be my cranberry, almond and oat ones! As is often the case, however, nothing really beats a classic. I pair one or two with a piece of fruit before or after a workout to save myself the long list of ingredients in store-bought bars and bites.
- 200g almonds
- 400g medjool dates
- 4 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 ½ tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
For Toppings use cacao, coconut, linseeds or anything else you fancy.
- Begin by placing the almonds in the food processor and pulsing until they are nicely crushed.
- Add the medjool dates and coconut oil and pulse until it’s fully mixed.
- Add the almond butter and cacao and then mix again in the food processor.
- Take a tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball. Continue doing this until the mixture has finished. Then coat the balls in a topping of your choice.
- Place the rolled balls into the freezer for around 1 hour, then remove and store in an airtight container in the fridge.