Chocolate banana smoothie with chia seeds & nuts
This delicious chocolate banana smoothie is an excellent snack or a weekend breakfast. Packed with nuts and chia seeds, this will keep you full and energised throughout the day. Plus did you know that cacao is an excellent mood elevator and is high in magnesium (a lack of which has been linked to depression)? These are just a couple of reasons why I think it is also a great option of a healthy winter afternoon treat!
Side note: Bananas have a bad rep for being higher in sugar than other fruits, so if you’ve been recommended a low GI diet, they can be switched with half an avocado for the same creaminess. If you don’t like the taste of avocado, add some more milk and a couple of extra berries!
- 1 banana
- 60ml unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp honey
- ¼ avocado
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 30g chopped nuts of your choice
- Place all ingredients, except chopped nuts into a blender and blend until it is thick and smooth (like a thick shake).
- Pour into a bowl and top with chopped nuts.