Apple bircher muesli muffins
These apple bircher muesli muffins are an excellent healthy recipe to brighten up the breakfast routine. They are a great start to the day as muffins are packed with fibre, slow release glucose and cinnamon, which keeps energy levels steady through the day. They are also really easy to take with you if you need breakfast on the go. Plus work equally well as a mid-morning snack. This is one of the recipes I like to make with my little ones during winter. It’s an easy one for them to get involved with and fills the whole house with sweet smells of cinnamon.
- 100g organic rolled oats
- 110g wholemeal spelt flour
- 40g raisins
- 2 eggs
- 15g mixed chia and flaxseed (plus a few more for topping)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g Greek yoghurt
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple, grated (skin on)
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Prepare your baking tray with the muffin cups.
- Mix the oats, raisins, yoghurt, eggs, seeds, baking powder, oil, honey, vanilla extract and cinnamon together in a bowl. Leave them for the oats to soften, which should take around 10 minutes.
- Add the apple, its juice and the flour.
- Mix it all together and fill your muffin cups with the mixture.
- Sprinkle over a few oats for the topping and more seeds if wanted.
- Cook for 35 minutes, or until the mixture is cooked through. They should feel firm and a skewer inserted in the middle of the muffin should come out clean.
- Best served warm!