Chicken soup recipe
I love the comfort and warmth of a homemade soup in the winter! Chicken soup is such a classic and a perfect winter warmer. I find this recipe works wonders as a healing soup to fight coughs and colds it’s a great way to make use of the leftovers from a Sunday roast.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs flat leaf parsley, leaves & stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 150g cooked roast chicken, shredded
- 100g kale or any cabbage, chopped finely
- 600ml chicken stock – homemade chicken broth would be even better (see recipe for bone broth under ‘miso soup’)
- Heat the coconut oil over a medium heat in a large pan, add the onion and fry until softened.
- Add the celery and garlic and cook for a further two minutes. Then add the carrots and the parsley (including the chopped stalks) and bay leaf.
- Add the stock/broth and bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer until the vegetables are soft (about 20 minutes).
- Add in the kale or cabbage and the chicken. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Season and add the lemon juice.